This report provides an update on mmWaves, the new frequencies available for 5G. It details their availability, assignments and reminds of their key characteristics. It also stress opportunities and challenges opened up and faced with 5G.
It reviews eight use cases at different stages of deployment using mmWaves.
- What is the state of the art of mmWave spectrum assignment, commercial service deployment?
- What are the key challenges and opportunities for mmWave?
- What are the key 5G use cases and applications for mmWave?
- When and how will 5G fully benefit from mmWaves and deliver multi-Gbps?
Table of contents
1. Executive summary
2. Key findings
3. New frequencies for true 5G
3.1. MmWave deployment context
3.2. Allocation of mmWave frequencies for 5G
4. Overview of 5G mmWave applications and services
4.1. Use case synthesis
4.2. Cas d’usage 5G millimétriques
4.2.1. Use case 1: eMBB FWA n°32
4.2.2. Use case 2: “Hotzone” consumer: immersive UHD streaming video at 2022 Beijing Olympic Games
4.2.3. Use case 3: “Private networks”: Taiwan live theater
4.2.4. Use case 4: “Hotzone” consumer/offices/ industrial and business applications: Paris/Rennes stations, France
4.2.5. Use case 5: “Hotzone” consumer/offices with 5G-PICTURE, Barcelona, Spain
4.2.6. Use case 6: “Hotzone” consumer & offices in the subway downtown Seoul
4.2.7. Use case 7: Robots in agriculture using 5G FWA and fiber
4.2.8. Use case 8: “Hotzone” consumer & offices, financial district of Paris, 26 GHz trials and neutral-host approach
Acronyms or Abbreviations’ List
- South Korea
- Czech Republic
- United Kingdom
- United States
- Saudi Arabia
- Allis Electric
- Bell Labs
- Chunghwa Telecom
- Interactive Digital Technologies
- Quanta Computer
- US Cellular
- Wha Yu Industrial
- Reference: M00066MRA
- Delivery: on the DigiWorld Interactive platform
- Languages available: English
- Tags: 5G, 5G mmWave, Spectrum, multi-Gbps networks